This was a recipe I invented on the way to work one morning.
When I say that, what I actually mean is that I was running late, had missed breakfast and was therefore famished and grumpy. I was desperate to pick up a toastie from Costa. But that would have set me back 27 Syns – almost double one day’s allowance.
So all the way to Costa I was trying to come up with an alternative. Something that would be just as warm and filling but with less Syns. This is the way my brain worked…
“So what’s just as filling as bread but with lower syns? Pasta. Humph. You don’t have the facilities at work to make pasta, Leia. Rice! Packet rice from the Spar! Brilliant! Hmm.. what can I add? Bacon! Bacon is breakfast-y. There’s a Greggs next to the Spar. There’ll be Syns because it’s grilled with the fat on, but way less than the toastie. Hmm.. what about speed food. Tomatoes! There’s a Subway too, I could get a salad box and mix it in!”
And so it went on. The original version was thrown together in the work kitchen and was 10 Syns (for the bacon fat and packet rice). Once perfected at home it became Syn free and is now a regular, particularly when working long days. It’s great hot or cold so I’ll often make a batch and stick it in the fridge so I can just grab a tupperware on the way out of the door in the morning.
Serves 4 – Syn Free
- 1 mug basmati rice
- 2 mugs water
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp onion granules
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 4 eggs
- 1 bunch spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 pack chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pack cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 pack bacon medallions, thinly sliced
- Salt & pepper
- Pour the rice and water into a large saucepan. Add the stock cube, turmeric, onion and garlic granules and soy sauce. Stir once and bring to the boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed. Turn off the heat and allow the rice to cool
- Heat a wok and spray with Frylight. Add the eggs and stir quickly to break them up. Once cooked, remove from the pan and set aside
- Re-spray the pan and fry the bacon and mushrooms until cooked through. Add the tomatoes and spring onions and cook for approximately one minute
- Add the eggs back into the pan with the cooled rice and stir everything together.
- Season well with salt and pepper and serve