My friends and family know I have a sweet tooth. So finding Slimming World friendly desserts was a must. This recipe is one of my staples. Not only is it suitable for dessert, but it can also replace porridge for breakfast. And there are like a million different flavour varieties so it never gets boring.
Serves 2-4 depending on portion size
Syns vary (see below)
- 1 litre unsweetened almond milk
- 200g pudding or paella rice
- 3-6 tbsp sweetener (depending on how sweet you like it)
- Flavouring of your choice (see below for some suggestions)
- 1-2 cups of water depending on consistency preference!
- Combine the sweetener, flavouring (if using) and 100ml of the almond milk in a large heavy bottomed saucepan over a medium heat. Stir until the sweetener has dissolved
- Add the pudding rice and stir frequently until the liquid is absorbed
- Add the remaining almond milk and reduce the heat
- Simmer, stirring frequently, for approx 15-20 minutes until the rice is soft and liquid is mostly absorbed
- Add water and keep stirring to get your preferred consistency
- Serve with your favourite speed fruits
The basic recipe is 6 syns or counts as your Healthy Extra A (HEA). But you would be eating a lot of rice pudding if you ate the whole batch! I tend to split mine with another HEA. So long as you count exactly half of the allowance for each it should be fine e.g. 500ml almond milk (half this recipe) plus 20g light cheddar counts a one whole HEA.
Alternatively you can use original or sweetened almond milk which is 500ml for HEA (but you’ll need less sweetener).
There are also lots of different ways you can flavour this dish which may or may not add some syns. Get creative – the possibilities are endless! Here are some of my favourites:
- Vanilla – add 1tsp vanilla essence
- Almond – add 1tsp almond essence
- Coconut – add 1tsp coconut essence
- Chocolate – add a Belgian chocolate Options sachet (add 2 syns). You can also drizzle a teaspoon of Choc Shot on top for another ½ syn if you want!
- Chocolate orange – add a chocolate orange Options sachet and a capful of orange essence (add 1.5 syns)
- Cinnamon – add ½ tsp vanilla essence and ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Orange and cardamom – crush 2 cardamom pods with a pestle and mortar, add the tiny seeds to the mix (discard the shells) along with 1 tsp orange essence
- Caramel – add 2 x 5ml squirts of sugar free caramel coffee syrup (I use Monin)
- Raspberry – add 100g of fresh or frozen raspberries while still warm and mix well (1 syn for cooked/pureed raspberries)
(Pictured is chocolate orange rice pudding with pears)