YUM! That was deeeeelicious!
Have been wanting to try these recipes for a while and today seemed to be a good day to make both together.
I’m going to focus on the Pizza Potato recipe below, as I’m not a huge fan of plagiarism and the Zesty Turkey Kebabs recipe is from the Slimming World Fakeaways book. I can’t find it on the UK website, but thankfully it is on the USA version so as long as you can deal with Americanisms such as ‘broil’ rather than ‘grill’, consider the the recipe shared!
However, the Pizza Potato recipe is something I have been dying to try. It was inspired by one of those Tasty videos. You know the ones – created by Buzzfeed, generally involving a truckload of cheese and crispy bacon and other non-Slimming World friendly foods. The original recipe is for a Breakfast Baked Potato.
But, I thought to myself, a pizza version would be pretty easy surely? Layers of gooey melting cheese with tomato and pizza toppings, how hard can it be?
Easy peasy and decidedly good it turns out!
Syn Free if using Light Mozzarella as your Healthy Extra A (otherwise 6 Syns per portion)
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 125-140g light mozzarella cheese (I used Sainsbury’s Be Good To Yourself)
- 6 baby plum tomatoes, halved
- 4 chestnut mushrooms, sliced and lightly sauteed to soften
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- A handful of fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees
- Prick the potatoes several times with a fork and then microwave on high power for 5-6 minutes each
- Meanwhile cut the mozzarella into 6 equal slices
- Slice off the top of the potatoes and carefully scoop out the flesh using a teaspoon – leave approx half a centimetre of potato around the edge, under the skin, to stop it collapsing. Set aside the scooped flesh and tops of the potatoes
- Place 6 tomato halves in the bottom of each potato skin, then place a slice of mozzarella on top
- Next place a layer of sliced spring onions on top of that, and season with salt and pepper. Then top with another slice of mozzarella
- Then add a layer of sauteed mushrooms followed by a sprinkle of the fresh basil
- Replace the tops on the potatoes and bake for 20 minutes
- Remove from the oven and switch it to grill setting
- Cook your kebabs (if having those too)
- Then top each potato with the final slice of mozzarella and place under the gril for a few minutes, until it starts to bubble and golden
- Finally mash the potato flesh with salt, pepper and more chopped fresh basil and serve with the kebabs, pizza potatoes and side salad or your preferred speed veggies
N.B. If you prefer your potatoes crispy (and get home earlier than I do!) then replace step 2 with approx 40 minutes to 1 hour in the oven 🙂